Re: How can I find the javavm version?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2004 13:42:50 -0800

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0411030820.75a51317_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411021633.20864975_at_posting.google.com>...
> > yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0411010711.263a55f5_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > oracle.server.version". I'm not sure if you can upgrade the JVM inside
> > > the database. If you have not or can't do it at all, then trust that
> > > number.
> >
> > Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the manual upgrade scripts (which
> > call things like jvmdbmig.sql) upgrade java inside the db. I think
> > some OAS upgrades also do things like that. I guess that's why so
> > many patches and installs make you set upwards the java buffers before
> > you do anything. I can't help wondering if something could upgrade
> > java from another server, like portal upgrades it's objects in a db
> > from a midtier server. I no longer trust any of those text files,
> > since I know _some_ of them are untrustworthy.
>
> I should be more clear saying that the JVM inside the database
> probably cannot be upgraded *unless you also upgrade the database
> version*. The 10g jvmdbmig.sql and some other scripts under
> $OH/javavm/install are for installing JVM or downgrading it. When you
> use it to upgrade, you're also upgrading the database. Metalink
> discussion 505865.994 is the most relevant (can you only upgrade Java
> from 1.3 to 1.4 in JVM of the database?). Look at the bottom message.
> Searching for "upgrade jvm" (with quotes) on Metalink shows some other
> notes. They all seem to indicate that you upgrade JVM while you
> upgrade the DB. Note:205078.1 has 'upgrading the Java engine only' but
> that's a wrong quote.
>
> Yong Huang

Thanks, that is more clear. In earlier versions of ultrasearch/intermedia, one was told to do strange things with the java objects as regards reinstallations or upgrades, I don't even want to _look_ at that stuff anymore - I always suspected some of the notes relevant to that were wrong, they were certainly confusing. OAS10g seems to have finally worked that out, but I just get antsy thinking I'll have to go through another 9iAS patching hell sometime.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,97032,00.html?nas=OS-97032