Re: Accidentally moved *.dbf file.

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:21:14 +1100

<g9chan_at_uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, I am a oracle newbie.
>
> I was trying to restore my oracle database by copying over the dbf
> file corresponding to my database instance with an older version of
> the same dbf -- while the instance was still running.
> This is proving to be a big mistake. [insert ur flames here]

OK, I will. You state in a subsequent post that you are NOT in archivelog mode. Recovery in NOARCHIVELOG mode consists of deleting all files and restoring everything from backup. Do so. Your database will not function until you do.

You are attempting to perform a media recovery. Media recoveries can only be performed when you are in archivelog mode.

Without archives, you cannot roll an old file foward to catch up to the time of the other files. Therefore, you simply have to accept that the entire database gets restored from backup, and the entire database therefore 'goes backwards' in time to the time of the last backup. NOARCHIVELOG means data loss. There is nothing you can do about that.

One hopes that your backups have themselves been performed whilst the database was closed (and hence consistent). Otherwise, you will not have a usable backup. And in that case, your entire database could be lost.

HJR Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 09:21:14 CST