Re: Oracle block corruption, restore and roll forward

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 4 Nov 2004 05:08:10 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4188f6e6$0$24942$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that you didn't restore froma
> >> suffcieintly old backup, and that the corruption was in the backup you
> >> just
> >> restored from. In which case (a) why don't you verify your backups using
> >> DBVerify (dbv) -because then you would have known of the problem in your
> >> backup set. And (b) how about restoring from a much older backup and
> >> recovering that?
> >
> > ... and also how about using RMAN utility for future backups to ensure
> > that something like this (unnoticed corrupted backup set) wouldn't
> > happen again?
>
> Excellent point.
>
> Regards
> HJR
It seems to me today, that I shouldn't be so concise when posting this. To elaborate this futher, even with RMAN it can still happen, although not on the reported version. However, in general yes you can have an unnoticed corrupted backup set even when using RMAN. It can happen only in case of using 9.2.0.5 together with ASSM tablespaces (see bug no. 3785200). Everyone with this combination should apply the patch that is already available, becase otherwise he could encounter a data loss. Beware, this one is quite nasty!

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.