Re: Rule of thumb for number of Maximum Connections

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:35:20 GMT

"Y" <ytalreja_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:8b80bedf.0411031403.6f8cfdc4_at_posting.google.com...
> Folks,
>
> We are running 6 instances of a proprietary application server
> against an Oracle8 instance with a connection pool of 16 each (for a
> total of 96 connections). This is running on a dual proc Sun server
> with 1 GB of memory As our volumes have ramped up, we need to increase
> the number of connections in the pool and the related parameters in
> Oracle's config files. All users to the database go through these App
> Servers/connection pools.
>
> I believe I would need to increase the queuesize in listener.ora
> file and the SESSIONS/PROCESSES parameters in init.ora file. Are there
> any other parameters I need to change?
>
> I would like to know if there is a formula to determine a "safe"
> limit for bumping these up; i.e. if there is a rule of thumb for
> correlating maximum number of these parameters with the # of CPUs/
> memory size. I do realize that if I bump these up too high, I will run
> into the Unix limit of max. # of processes, but that typically exceeds
> 1024.
>
> Yash

You done't really need to change queuesize unless the connection activity is very busy
(like above 5/sec on Solaris).

If you have an Oracle CPU license, you can increase the processes parameter inside
your init.ora so that it is high enough, figuring 1-5MB per session. You can look at v$license to see
what the high water marks are, that will tell you where to set processes.

The Solaris Ulimit parameter for oracle should be set to basically unlimited, which root.sh might do?
However since you only have 1GB of memory I suggest a process limit of 200 would be reasonable,
but make sure you check out the v$license highwater session counts. Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 18:35:20 CST