Rule of thumb for number of Maximum Connections

From: Y <ytalreja_at_comcast.net>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 14:03:42 -0800

Folks,

    We are running 6 instances of a proprietary application server against an Oracle8 instance with a connection pool of 16 each (for a total of 96 connections). This is running on a dual proc Sun server with 1 GB of memory As our volumes have ramped up, we need to increase the number of connections in the pool and the related parameters in Oracle's config files. All users to the database go through these App Servers/connection pools.

    I believe I would need to increase the queuesize in listener.ora file and the SESSIONS/PROCESSES parameters in init.ora file. Are there any other parameters I need to change?

    I would like to know if there is a formula to determine a "safe" limit for bumping these up; i.e. if there is a rule of thumb for correlating maximum number of these parameters with the # of CPUs/ memory size. I do realize that if I bump these up too high, I will run into the Unix limit of max. # of processes, but that typically exceeds 1024.

Yash Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 16:03:42 CST