Re: How can I find the javavm version?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 08:20:02 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411021633.20864975_at_posting.google.com>...
> yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0411010711.263a55f5_at_posting.google.com>...
> > oracle.server.version". I'm not sure if you can upgrade the JVM inside
> > the database. If you have not or can't do it at all, then trust that
> > number.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the manual upgrade scripts (which
> call things like jvmdbmig.sql) upgrade java inside the db. I think
> some OAS upgrades also do things like that. I guess that's why so
> many patches and installs make you set upwards the java buffers before
> you do anything. I can't help wondering if something could upgrade
> java from another server, like portal upgrades it's objects in a db
> from a midtier server. I no longer trust any of those text files,
> since I know _some_ of them are untrustworthy.

I should be more clear saying that the JVM inside the database probably cannot be upgraded *unless you also upgrade the database version*. The 10g jvmdbmig.sql and some other scripts under $OH/javavm/install are for installing JVM or downgrading it. When you use it to upgrade, you're also upgrading the database. Metalink discussion 505865.994 is the most relevant (can you only upgrade Java from 1.3 to 1.4 in JVM of the database?). Look at the bottom message. Searching for "upgrade jvm" (with quotes) on Metalink shows some other notes. They all seem to indicate that you upgrade JVM while you upgrade the DB. Note:205078.1 has 'upgrading the Java engine only' but that's a wrong quote.

Yong Huang Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 10:20:02 CST