Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:12:31 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1099464779.731755_at_yasure...
[snip]

> More likely he will (or she or are you still assuming all Oracle
> DBAs and developers are male?) will ask questions like "Where's
> server manager?" or "Why aren't there any rollback segments?"

See, if that's all there is, I'd happily employ a version 7 expert! Because the answers are: "use SQL*Plus, and it's practically identical" and "There are still rollback segments, but they have odd names that start with underscores".

It's the people who somehow think that rollback segments have done a disappearing act that get me more worried. It suggests they pay more attention to Oracle marketing that the physical realities...

> Would it make you happier if everyone agreed? If there was no diversity
> of opinion and experience?

There's an assumption there: that everyone's opinion is equally valid. Call me a John Stuart Mill fan, but I don't happen to believe that is always true. And in the technical sphere, it is definitely not true. A newbie's opinion is practically value-less, and the opinion of the World's Greatest Oracle Author is usually likewise. But Tom Kyte we esteem highly, to name but one. It's one reason why the World's Greatest Oracle Author and his fan club should take especial care not to mislead newbies, because they know no better and cannot be expected to.

Whether your and your clients' employment practices fall into the technical or the atmospheric sphere is debatable, of course.

I would want to tell your clients that their employment practices are ludicrously short-sighted, are fit only for fire-fighting mode, and are no way to run a proper company. But then I don't have to pay your mortgage and utility bills and can afford to be brutally honest accordingly.

I probably wouldn't tell *my* clients anything quite so violently confronting, either.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 01:12:31 CST