Re: Howard Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:59:36 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1099463312.257844_at_yasure...
> Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>
>> I am *very* pleased to present this link:
>>
>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracle9ipdf/
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jonathan Gennick
>> Editor, O'Reilly Media
>> 906.387.1698 mailto:jgennick_at_oreilly.com
>
> Thank you for doing so.
>
> And I won't say a single word about a "promotion" as Howard has
> been a major contributor to these groups for years and a valuable
> member of the Oracle community (even if at times we try each other's
> patience). But Oracle 9i? How about a 10g book before the release of
> Oracle 11 Jonathan? Can you get Howard to write one? ;-)

I wouldn't want to. It's too early. I hate this miraculous ability of bookshops to have 10g books on the shelves the day the software is released! It can only because the authors worked with beta software. That means their books' content must be suspect to some extent. And, which is worse, their opinion of the merit of particular new features cannot possibly have any substance. Such books are in no position to assess the worth or merit, the pros or cons, of the new features available in the new release.

As a a result, they all-too-frequently turn into shopping lists: 'here's new feature A, new feature B, new feature C....' and on and on and on, without any sense of insight or discrimination.

10g will be properly assessable, in my opinion, in the first part of next year.

Incidentally, I didn't ask Jonathan to post his message, and didn't know he would.

But I finally have my own insect, which I'm rather chuffed about! Even if it is just a flying ant.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 00:59:36 CST