Re: Oracle block corruption, restore and roll forward

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:00:36 GMT

"Andrew Riley" <himsdba_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:30e7f1c6.0411021834.34706262_at_posting.google.com...
> We are running an Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 SE database and a datafile has a
> corrupt block. The database has been restored and we have attempted
> to roll forward using the current control files and archive logs but
> it has failed.
>
> The table concerned is fairly large at ~150Gb so selecting/inserting
> around the corrupt 2K block could be a bit of a nightmare!
>
> Has anybody else had a similar problem and been able to resolve it?
> If so, what actions did you take?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks

Yes. Do an export on the object. It should fail which allows you to identify the object. If the object is an index then drop the index and recreate it. Construct a select that does a full table scan and determine what block it is by including the rowid in the select and spooling it to a file. Then do a create table as select excluding the rows (via rowid) into another area and get the good data into the new table. Then you are going to have to figure out what to do with the missing rows. Jim Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 21:00:36 CST