Re: SOS - the day after migrating to Oracle 9.2

From: Geoff Muldoon <gmuldoon_at_no.spam.scu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:03:07 GMT

Nomail_at_home.com says...

> 2 days ago we migrated an Oracle 8.1.7.4 instance running on Linux to
> 9.2.0.5 running on Linux inside a VMWare virtual Machine.

Having just moved an Oracle database OUT of VMWare in our development environment, I'm not surprised you're having problems.

What version of VMWare? I'd NEVER recommend running Oracle under VMWare Workstation or even VMWare GSX Server (major reason - with these versions each virtual machine can only access one processor even on multi-CPU host boxes). We may try it under VMWare ESX Server down the track.

Our dev box is now configured with RHAS Linux as the host OS and Oracle running on the host OS, not within a virtual machine, with a number of virtual machine app servers, include a couple Windows ones, accessing it from inside VMWare.

Surprisingly, Linux as VMWare host running Windows inside it as a virtual machine generally works quite well, better than running Windows host with Linux virtual machines inside.

Geoff M Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 17:03:07 CST