Re: Oracle 9i Discovery agent error

From: J Williams <johnwilliams_esq_at_NOThotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:52:51 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4187fb98$0$9016$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "J Williams" <johnwilliams_esq_at_NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Oracle 9i Release 2 on Windows XP - single host machine.
>>
>> I'm trying to backup my database using the Backup wizard within Oracle
>> Enterprise Manager. It says the wizard can only be launched when the
>> application (i.e. OEM) is connected to the Oracle Management Server
>> (OMS). But to do that, first I must run Enterprise Manager Configuration
>> Assistant (EMCA) to create a repository to store system management
>> information.
>>
>> Having done this, I can now run OEM and login to OMS and the Discovery
>> Wizard launches. I enter the hostname of the local machine, and it
>> starts discovering, however the it says: "Automatic discovery failed for
>> some nodes. Click Next to retry the discovery or to manually configure
>> nodes that do not have Oracle Intelligent Agents.". The status field is
>> "Discovery Failed: VNI-4009: Cannot contact agent on the node. Agent may
>> be down or network communication to the node has failed".
>>
>> As my Oracle installation is on a single machine, I don't think network
>> comms is the cause. What is an Intelligent Agent and how do I know if
>> it's running or not and how do I start it? Entering
>> C:\Oracle\ora92\bin\agentctl start
>>
>> gives:
>>
>> Starting Oracle Intelligent Agent...
>> Agent already running
>>
>> However if I try to stop the agent, using agentctl stop, it says:
>> Could not contact agent. It may not be running.
>>
>> Which Windows service is the Intelligent Agent? Do I have to install
>> Oracle 9i Application Server?
>>
>> A confused newbie! :)
>
> The service is the one called OracleOraHome92Agent.
>
> You don't need to install Oracle Application Server.
>
> You do need to have a network interface on that machine. If you don't have
> one, get one, or install a loopback adapter (ie, a piece of software which
> pretends it's a network adapter). Without that, network comms will indeed
> be the problem! Namely: there aren't any!
>
> Or if you are just trying to learn this stuff, then have a look at the
> Virtual Oracle series of papers at www.dizwell.com: by installing into a
> virtual machine, you don't cack up your real Windows installation (though
> for you that's now too late), and you get a virtual network and thus
> require no loopback shennanigans.
>
> If you want to install a loopback adapter, then get thee to microsoft.com
> and start searching.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks for your reply, Howard.

I should have said that the machine is networked and does have a network interface. Everything Oracle 9i is installed on this one machine.

I do indeed have a service called OracleOraHome92Agent. I tried stopping it via the Windows Services screen (just to see if restarting it would fix the discovery agent error), but it is currently hung in a Stopping state. I suspect a reboot is required. Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 15:52:51 CST