Re: Oracle 9i Discovery agent error

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:27:08 +1100

"J Williams" <johnwilliams_esq_at_NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:cm8t9s$ha4$1_at_news.freedom2surf.net...
> Oracle 9i Release 2 on Windows XP - single host machine.
>
> I'm trying to backup my database using the Backup wizard within Oracle
> Enterprise Manager. It says the wizard can only be launched when the
> application (i.e. OEM) is connected to the Oracle Management Server (OMS).
> But to do that, first I must run Enterprise Manager Configuration
> Assistant (EMCA) to create a repository to store system management
> information.
>
> Having done this, I can now run OEM and login to OMS and the Discovery
> Wizard launches. I enter the hostname of the local machine, and it starts
> discovering, however the it says: "Automatic discovery failed for some
> nodes. Click Next to retry the discovery or to manually configure nodes
> that do not have Oracle Intelligent Agents.". The status field is
> "Discovery Failed: VNI-4009: Cannot contact agent on the node. Agent may
> be down or network communication to the node has failed".
>
> As my Oracle installation is on a single machine, I don't think network
> comms is the cause. What is an Intelligent Agent and how do I know if
> it's running or not and how do I start it? Entering
> C:\Oracle\ora92\bin\agentctl start
>
> gives:
>
> Starting Oracle Intelligent Agent...
> Agent already running
>
> However if I try to stop the agent, using agentctl stop, it says:
> Could not contact agent. It may not be running.
>
> Which Windows service is the Intelligent Agent? Do I have to install
> Oracle 9i Application Server?
>
> A confused newbie! :)

The service is the one called OracleOraHome92Agent.

You don't need to install Oracle Application Server.

You do need to have a network interface on that machine. If you don't have one, get one, or install a loopback adapter (ie, a piece of software which pretends it's a network adapter). Without that, network comms will indeed be the problem! Namely: there aren't any!

Or if you are just trying to learn this stuff, then have a look at the Virtual Oracle series of papers at www.dizwell.com: by installing into a virtual machine, you don't cack up your real Windows installation (though for you that's now too late), and you get a virtual network and thus require no loopback shennanigans.

If you want to install a loopback adapter, then get thee to microsoft.com and start searching.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 15:27:08 CST