Re: DBA Books??

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:12:58 +1100

"debashish" <debashish_majumdar_at_rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:bb05cfc5.0411020616.322eaf59_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi guys
> I have just started learning Oracle DB Administration. The books, i
> am using, are intended for the OCP exams - though i dont plan to go
> for OCP now. I have just purchased Oracle9i DBA handbook authored by
> Kevin Lony and Marlene Therault. What are other such books that
> contain relevant material? Are there any for the newbie DBAs like me?
> I am from SQL Server background and have the fundamental knowledge of
> SQL. Please Help.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Debashish

Don't buy books that are intended for the OCP. Even if you have no intention of taking OCP exams yourself, the books will lead you astray. Also don't buy books with the words "Oracle Press" on their front covers, unless they also have the words 'Thomas Kyte' on them.

To know what good books are, you should know who the good authors are. That means starting to do some work for yourself, and reading widely around the Internet. Google is your friend in this respect. There is, fortunately, a shortcut. If you visit www.oaktable.net, and check the members list: anyone on that list is usually a good bet for reliable advice, or at least not completely misleading advice. That's not to say they are the *only* source of good advice, but it's a convenient way of finding out one possible source.

Armed with that list, start visiting their websites. Jonathan Lewis', Niall Litchfield, Connor McDonald, Steve Adams, mine... See what advice those sites can give you. And specifically see what links they give -and whether they have book recommendations. Or even better, whether they've written any books themselves. These recommendations, or their own works, then become a reliable shopping list for your next visit to a bookshop or Amazon.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 14:12:58 CST