Re: oracle killed session still holding locks

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2004 11:08:21 -0800

I've seen this problem on several versions of Oracle, and on at least 3 platforms.

First off, the only option you have to get rid of the session is to bounce the instance.

Second, never kill a session with 'alter system kill session'.

You have the right idea with the kill -9, but in cases where you have an session with table locks that has been killed in Oracle, it will be ineffective. You need to do kill -9 first.

I've never determined how to reproduce this problem, and without a test case, there is little point in submitting it to Oracle.

I would suggest you start using kill -9 to kill sessions.

Whenever I suggest this, I always catch a lot of flack for it, but experience has shown it to be correct.

Jared