Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Oily <oily_dipstick_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2004 04:36:42 -0800

Nicely said Joel.

My issue with this thread has been employer attitude, and I have to admit mainly that asserted by Daniel. Apologies to others if this is somewhat OT.

What Joel says as regards career limiting is correct. There are plenty of career limiting factors which employees are happy to stay within the confines of, such as relocation, spouse considerations etc. I don't think that Daniel appreciates facts such as these, as all seems to boil down to technical knowledge and up to date skills. Daniel, a question. Does your partner have a career? Is the career of your partner a factor in your relationship, or do you just trash their career if you decide to move on and relocate? I think that maybe it's not a consideration due to your salary level, I may be wrong, but that is a good reason for this not to be a concern to you. But here, where I sit, in the real world we consider it. Nothing to do with skill level. So, maybe the 'poor guy' who answers the calls for V7 issues is happy with his lot and has made the choice. He is also, most likely, fluent with 9i.

I think that you are in a privileged position to be sat in a high profile role. No problem with that, it has probably been at some personal sacrifice. But you have to accept that your words of wisdom that you present as industry fact can appear very condescending to a lot of people who are not as fortunate as yourself. This is not a statement of envy, purely annoyance. You just see your own market sector.

Oily. Received on Tue Nov 02 2004 - 06:36:42 CST