Re: Adding some random characters to Oracle password

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:05:43 +1100

"Jeff" <jeff_at_work.com> wrote in message news:cm6d84$fdh$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu...
> In article <cm5nbn$rvr$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, jeff_at_work.com (Jeff) wrote:
>
>>One other twist... our client app makes temporary and multiple connections
>>the database. If it's going to make a bunch of queries at once, the
>>session
>>will be opened at the beginning and closed at the end, but you can expect
>>that there will be plenty of logging in and out as the user does his
>>thing.
>>There is a limit, therefore, as to what can be done in a logon trigger
>>without
>>incurring a noticeable performance penalty to those queries. This might
>>not
>>be the best way to handle things... we could open sessions at the
>>start of a form, but we just didn't want hundreds of sessions sitting idle
>>all
>>the day long.
>
> Actually, after trying all of this out, the fact that you have to manually
> execute this procedure every time a connection is opened is a problem for
> us, as we don't always have direct control over establishing the
> connection... and cannot ensure that the role-setting procedure is run.

I'm not sure what role you're talking about. The procedure that actually issues the 'set role' command is certinaly not intended to be executed manually. It's supposed to be embedded in the application. I mention this right at the end of the paper I mentioned.

> It would've been cool if the role could be set (or not) in a logon
> trigger,
> but of course it can't.

Why not?

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Nov 01 2004 - 18:05:43 CST