Re: Adding some random characters to Oracle password

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:27:15 GMT

In article <cm5nbn$rvr$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, jeff_at_work.com (Jeff) wrote:

>One other twist... our client app makes temporary and multiple connections to
>the database. If it's going to make a bunch of queries at once, the session
>will be opened at the beginning and closed at the end, but you can expect
>that there will be plenty of logging in and out as the user does his thing.
>There is a limit, therefore, as to what can be done in a logon trigger without
>incurring a noticeable performance penalty to those queries. This might not
>be the best way to handle things... we could open sessions at the
>start of a form, but we just didn't want hundreds of sessions sitting idle all
>the day long.

Actually, after trying all of this out, the fact that you have to manually execute this procedure every time a connection is opened is a problem for us, as we don't always have direct control over establishing the connection... and cannot ensure that the role-setting procedure is run. It would've been cool if the role could be set (or not) in a logon trigger, but of course it can't. Received on Mon Nov 01 2004 - 16:27:15 CST