Re: HELP ME!! BACKUP WITH EXP COMMAND

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2004 13:28:35 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1099150268.828521_at_yasure>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > "rob" <rob_at_dsdelft.nl> wrote in message news:<clt486$p79$1_at_news.tudelft.nl>...
> >
> >>Please keep in mind that export is not really a backup: no recovery, roll
> >>forward, etc. It's just contains the data at a certain point.
> >>

> > Export is so a backup. It's just a logical backup rather than a
> > physical backup. It has utility in keeping data for restorative
> > purposes. Exports plus physical backups isn't redundant, there is
> > value added.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,56988,00.html
>
> If combined with a physical backup you are correct as stated by Oracle:
>
> "You should not use Oracle import and export utilities as the sole
> method of backing up your data."
>
> Source:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/backrec.htm#i1011713
>
> I did not get the impression from the OP that any physical backup
> existed thus my response.

I got the same impression, I was hurriedly replying to Rob, just on semantics. We all need to keep definitions of recovery and restoration straight. Several things can recover, import can only restore.

But thanks for posting that link to Concepts, I hadn't gotten around to reading it for 10g yet. Several things after the paragraph you pointed at got my attention:

The very next paragraph, comparing CTAS to imp I would think might give a confusing idea about how to use imp, particularly having to do with building indices at the time of import. In the next sentence, I couldn't quite tell if the word "as" was missing, or if flashback time really has anything to do with import, aside from imp using up all your undo space.

Further down, under "Flash Recovery Area Disk Limit," I think the recommended disk size is far too small, and it doesn't seem to account for flashback logs. Couldn't you possibly need as much space for flashback logs as archived (for example, if you flashed back for the maximum retention time on the most transactionally volatile tables)?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.oracle.com/oracleworld/online/sanfrancisco/2003/photo_gallery.html#