Re: OMLET 4.1: The Ultimate Oracle Tracker and Monitoring Cracker

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:48:49 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1099248386.74100_at_yasure...
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
>> into the kill file
>
> I've already kill-filed him. But it seems from your posting that he is
> still posting spam. So I followed everyone's advice ... Sybrand, Howard,
> and others. I stopped marking his spam.
>
> Assuming this to be a response to his spamming ... what has been
> accomplished? He has received an exclusive license to spam.

No. He was going to take a license to spam whether it was given to him or not. What has been accomplished is a substantial reduction in quantity and tone of his posts (IMO). Though drawing attention to that fact is the surest way I know of making it cease to be true.

>We jump on
> others for doing it but he can spam us forever.

Of course. Because unlike most others that you jump on, he is utterly unreasonable, and refuses to be silenced. So we can all either live with that inconvenience, or revert to the "This is Spam!" replies that themselves become noise and wasted bytes. In neither case is he going to shut up.

If it still irks that he won't cease and desist altogether... well, that is where the big guns of contacting his hosting company or his ISP or such like have to come into play. You're usually very good at that sort of thing! But I think he covers his tracks well enough that not even that approach is easy. But that's the only way he's ever going to be silenced: by shutting down his site or his link to the Internet altogether.

HJR Received on Mon Nov 01 2004 - 13:48:49 CST