Re: More than one RAC instance/database on the same machine ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:32:02 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1099248038.210945_at_yasure...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
>>>This is RAC ... one instance per server. Sorry for the lack of languge
>>>precision.
>>>
>>>Can you explain to me how two databases behave quite differently?
>>>Databases don't behave on a node ... instances do. Thought I'd return
>>>the favour. ;-)
>>
>> Well, in your eagerness to be smart, you stuffed up. Because of course
>> databases behave differently from each other. What do you back up? A
>> database or an instance? And if you have a read-mostly database, do you
>> back that up at the same frequency you do a write-mostly one?
>
> End of thread Howard.
>
> I've had read-only tablespaces but never once a read-mostly database. I
> also backup tablespaces not databases: Crazy know-nothing American.

No. Just someone trying to be smart, and failing miserably.

If you want to be silly about it, why not say "Actually, I back up bits".

> If you have to be right then Ok ... you are right. But this thread ends
> here for me because I just don't have enough testosterone to continue this
> ... and won't.

It has nothing to do with testosterone. It has everything to do with not mouthing off the first one-liner you can think of, and misleading people as a result.

We have Burleson for that sort of thing. We don't need you joining the club.

The distinction between instances and databases is not a minor one, and it shouldn't be beyond you to get it right, especially in a thread about RAC where the distinction is rather more crucial than normal. Then, too, we can do without reflex prejudices concerning whether multiple databases is better or worse than multiple schemas within a single database. Try listening to what the original poster actually says, and tailor your advice accordingly.

It's nothing to do with testosterone. It's everything to do with subtlety, helping people, and precision.

HJR