Re: Oracle Server IP Change

From: Keg <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2004 05:52:49 -0800

"nbhiker" <not_at_likely.com> wrote in message news:<U1Xgd.164737$Np3.6819219_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've googled this to death and can't seem to find a resolution.
>
> I have installed oracle 8i on Solaris 8. All was working well until I
> changed the IP of the server (which is necessary), and now I am getting
> connection errors. I can no longer perform a successful tnsping (TNS-12545:
> Connect failed because target host or object does not exist). I have edited
> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora (and double-checked), and the server and the
> listener will start up with no probems, but I am still unable to connect.
> Oh, and I am connecting from the local machine (testing on the box itself,
> not remotely).
>
> Has anyone else run into thsi situation? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> nbhiker

Have you checked the client and server for any stagnant arp entries? If you change the IP w/o rebooting sometimes arp entries can persist, which means they must be manually deleted. See 'man arp' for how to display and delete arp entries. (arp maintenance must be done as root)

Also, I assume you shut the oracle listener down while the IP was being changed otherwise that could pose some issues as well.

Also look at the output of 'lsnrctl status' and see what address it is listening on:
Example from one of my systems:
<snip>
Listening Endpoints Summary...
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC_DCART)))   (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=db-0204.mydomain.com)(PORT=1522))) <snip>

db-0204.mydomain.com must be resolvable via DNS/NIS or defined in /etc/hosts. By default, Solaris 8 checks /etc/hosts first, then consults DNS and/or NIS. If you change the IP in DNS/NIS but not in /etc/hosts, that will cause a problem.

Also if you are using db_domain, make sure the hostname.db_domain is resolvable as well.

Last resort, make sure the listener socket really is bound and listening:

netstat -an | grep LIST | grep 1521

Example:
db-0204: ===>netstat -an | grep LIST | grep 1522

      *.1521               *.*                0      0 49152      0
LISTEN Make sure you see *.* in the second column which means the socket is bound to all intefaces.

-chuck Received on Sun Oct 31 2004 - 07:52:49 CST