Re: Oracle Server IP Change

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:31:23 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4184caea$0$22825$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "s.kapitza" <skapitza_at_volcanomail.com> wrote in message
> > "nbhiker" <not_at_likely.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> I've googled this to death and can't seem to find a resolution.
> >>
> >> I have installed oracle 8i on Solaris 8. All was working well until I
> >> changed the IP of the server (which is necessary), and now I am getting
> >> connection errors. I can no longer perform a successful tnsping
> >> (TNS-12545:
> >> Connect failed because target host or object does not exist). I have
> >> edited
> >> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora (and double-checked), and the server and
> >> the
> >> listener will start up with no probems, but I am still unable to
connect.
> >> Oh, and I am connecting from the local machine (testing on the box
> >> itself,
> >> not remotely).
> >>
> >> Has anyone else run into thsi situation? Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> nbhiker
> >
> > mybe you need to triple check.
> >
> > tnsping tell's you "target host does not exist" which means that your
> > tnsnames has an faulty host entry.
>
> It doesn't tell him that at all. Suppose his host entry was 'PICKLE'. That
> might be a perfectly valid entry: there's a server called PICKLE. He can
see
> it, touch it, re-boot it. It's just a shame his DNS server cannot resolve
> the name 'PICKLE' to some meaningful IP address.
>
> Now: does that mean the host entry is faulty, or that the host resolution
> mechanism is faulty?

The OP's problem is most likely, as you suggest, an IP address resolution issue. Without more information, we have no means of knowing whether the problem is the host file, DNS or NIS (or combination of the above). He should, however, have had no reason to modify tnsnames.ora or listener.ora and may have made matters worse by doing so.

My 2 cents worth,
R Harris