Re: Inserting Unicode Data.

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:59:51 +1100

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> It might also have something to do with the fact that UTF16 is the only
>> national character set you can have in 9i.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> Are you sure about that? The doccu (Globalization Support A96529-01,
> pg. 5-9, or pg 137 states you can use UTF8 as well as UTF16,
> UTF16 being default.
> Is this a documentation bug?
> I have never created a 9i database with UTF8, but always with
> the default UTF16, so I would not know first hand.

OK, time for me to stop being so imprecise.

In 9i, you can choose AL16UTF16, or UTF8. True.

Note: UTF8 *not* AL32UTF8.

But the documentation is (or should be!) quite clear on the fact that UTF8 is a Unicode character set that adheres to an earlier Unicode standard, its use is thus deprecated, and it's only there for backwards compatibility. Therefore, you actually have a choice between a viable and a deprecated national character set... which isn't much of a choice at all, of course, and inevitably leads you to choosing the AL16UTF16 one for a new database. And that is what I was getting at, but which I didn't say.

So thanks for the chance to clarify.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Oct 30 2004 - 16:59:51 CDT