Re: Adding some random characters to Oracle password

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:37:36 +1000

Jeff wrote:

> Okay, done some reading and I still don't quite get it (docs weren't very
> helpful). Does this stuff require an application server to work?
>
> If not, then could you give me a simple example of how I can connect to
> one account (don't want to manage 100's of accounts) in a database
> client-server from my application without using an embedded password (or
> typing one in) and have it be secure from unauthorized access (meaning
> outside the
> application). Assume that the database is on a VPN behind a firewall. A
> user's IP is probably irrelevant. No?

Paper written as promised. It doesn't assume all that you asked for about the VPN and so on. But it does a 'are you using an authorised program?' check. It's a worked example: starts simple, the problems show up, we get subtler.

You might find it of interest, anyway.

http://www.dizwell.com/html/secure_application_roles.html

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Oct 30 2004 - 08:37:36 CDT