Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Keg <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2004 13:15:24 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098763254.501572_at_yasure>...
> Carlos wrote:
>
> > This thread shows exactly what kind of person is D. A. Morgan and what
> > kind of person is Howard J. Rogers.
> >
> > I wish It was the second who has to read my resume if the
> > circumstances (unlikely though) make our roads cross.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Carlos.
>
> Likely you would. But I doubt the architect I advised my client to hire,
> today, would agree. I gave him a job and Howard likely would have passed
> him over. It is just a matter of perspective. And different perspectives
> are what makes the world go around. It would be boring if everyone
> agreed with either of us. Even more boring if we agreed with each other.

Any IT manager/director worth their weight knows not to put any faith in certifications. Anyone can memorize several chapters and test questions and get a cert. The only certs I ever pay heed to are the upper level Cisco certs that involve true hand-ons testing in a lab. I can't count how many useless IT peeps I have seen that were hired because they had an MCSE.

Carefull technical drilling of a candidate in an interview is the only way to be sure someone is technically proficient. A resume to me is good for only one thing, getting the name and phone number of the person to contact. I don't care where their degree is from, what certs they have, where they have worked, I only care about how they perform in the interview to my carefully planned questions. And it is the responsibility of the person conducting the interview to be well prepared as well, not just the candidate. Interviewers often forget that not only is the candiate trying to sell themself, but you are also trying to sell your company and the position to him. And if he is a good candidate, he likley has his choice of jobs and isn't desperate for yours.

Just 2 months ago I hired a junior unix guy from a local community college that was among candidates with BS's from Stanford and Georgia Tech. (and the latter 2 were not even in the final 3 that I narrowed down too)

I for one would not even wanna work in an environment that identifies candidates in such a manner. Just reminds me of some slow-moving, boring, HR driven company where you probably gotta wear dockers on top of everything else. =P

Just from my experience from about 5 years or so working positions where I directly interview and hire people, the resumes I see with all the certifications loaded on are people that are quite deficient and usually not real 'self starters'. I'm looking for the nitty-gritty, wear shorts to the interview, dive heads-in type of person that also sees thru all the bull s#$t. It has just been my personal experience that those with all the certs neatly indented on their resume aren't the ones. I would honestly be impressed if a guy handed me a rum&coke stained bar napkin with his number of it for a resume. Because to me that says, "I know my s#$t and can become an immediate contributor to your team."

Just my 2 bits. Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 15:15:24 CDT