Re: Redo killer

From: rslewis232 <rslewis232_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:26:14 -0400

If you want to almost completely eliminate REDO during a load, do the following

1.) Set the table to NOLOGGING
2.) Drop the table indexes (if there are any)
3.) Modify the INSERT statement with the APPEND hint
4.) After table is loaded, rebuild the indexes.

The downside to this is that if the instance fails, there is no recovery for this table.

Alternately, if you cannot drop the indexes, you can save about 30% on REDO by NOLOGGING the table and sending the APPEND hint in the INSERT statement.