Re: Read-only proc privledges

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:14:09 -0700

Mark Sisson wrote:

> Hi all.
> I'm an old-school SQLServer DBA (don't throw any fruit please!) and
> now I'm working on a project with Oracle. I'm trying to use PL/SQL to
> view table structures, stored proc text, and view data in tables.
>
> Things are working fine accept that I'm unable to see any stored
> procedures. My DBA said that he couldn't create a login that just has
> stored proc view privledges without also giving my stored proc execute
> privledges. Which of course he doesn't want to do.
>
> So is there no way to give a user access to view stored procs with
> giving them execute rights?
>
> TIA
> mark

What do you mean by "see stored procedures"?

You can do this:
SQL> desc <procedure_name>

or this:

SQL> SELECT argument_name, data_type, in_out FROM all_arguments
WHERE object_name = <procedure_name>;

and numerous other things ... but your request is quite ambiguous.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington