Re: Problem with the remote connection to Oracle database

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:13:40 GMT

"EP" <ep_at_NOWAYSPAMplusnet.pl> wrote in message news:clp86l$2687$1_at_mamut.aster.pl...
> Hello,
>
> I have some serious problems with the remote connection to my Oracle
> database 9.2.0.5 on HP-UX box:
>
> sqlplus "sys/passwd_at_SERVICE as sysdba"
>
> Every second attempt to connect to database is successful. Those
> unsuccessful attempts end with ORA-01017 invalid username/password; logon
> denied.
> However, if I try starting up the database with the successful connection,
> am getting the same error in the middle of the process and the database
> fails to start up.
> Of course, the local connection works, but I need the remote one to
restore
> the database from rman.
> I have tried recreating the password file several times but it didn't
help.
> Does anybody have any clues ?
>
> TIA,
> EP

You do not need a remote connection to restore a database via RMAN. In fact if you needed to be remote, it would mean there was something wrong with the server, heh?
Have you created the password file and put the proper user IDs into it and set the init.ora
parameter applicable to exclusive?
In fact to restore a database you do not use sqlplus, you use rman. Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 19:13:40 CDT