Re: Rowid generated by Oracle Server ?!?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 19:52:09 GMT

HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
> Juliano wrote:
>
> > My application doesn´t have any rowid
> > in select list. But, in a deadlock problem
> > detected, the query that was locked had a
> > rowid in the select list and a for update.
> > Can oracle server generated it?!?
>
> From Oracle's documentation:
>
> ------
> ROWID
>
> A globally unique identifier for a row in a database. It is created at
> the time the row is inserted into a table, and destroyed when it is
> removed from a table.
> ------

His question wasn't whether Oracle can generate the data which is in the rowid column, but rather whether Oracle can re-write a query that didn't used to have "rowid" in the select list so that it now has "rowid" in the select list.

It would probably be easier to answer that if he showed both the sql that oracle reports, and the sql in his app which he thinks is being rewritten into what Oracle reports.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB