Re: Oracle Internet Directory

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:22:14 GMT

Harry_Boswell@@deq.state.ms.us wrote:

> From the reading I've done, it appears that Oracle Internet Directory does
> much more than the old Names server. If my only purpose in considering
> this is to eliminate the need to manage tnsnames.ora files on about 250
> client
> machines, is OID worth the investment of time? It seems to offer things
> like single user login, which I don't want, if I understand it correctly -
> does that mean a single login authenticates to all databases to which that
> user has access?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry Boswell

Think LDAP.

OiD is a purely compliant implementation of LDAP v3. It has 2 main advantages:

  1. It can provide an Oracle-aware set of schemas such as the onames replacement you mention, as well as Oracle users, etc.
  2. Since the data store is separated from the LDAP processes, OiD can provide traditional LDAP without the need for LDUP to sync data stores - you can add processes on any server to handle more requests, and if you want to use remote servers yuo can use Oracle replication.

There are a few other significant advantages and capabilities (I believe sync with Active Server is implemented by now, but you would need to check.)

Definitely worth investigating, and if your organization has any central directory or single-sign on plans, OiD becomes quite attractive.

/Hans Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 12:22:14 CDT