Re: dataguard protection mode...

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 09:05:30 -0700

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<clnuv2$3jt$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>...

> "Yong Huang" <yong321_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:b3cb12d6.0410261101.428f2f0f_at_posting.google.com...
> > "Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<cljm2i$spk$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>...

> > > Hi!
> > > I'm trying to switch from maximum performance to maximum availability mode
> > > on 9.2.0.4.
> > >
> > > I did do standby redologs on the standby database:
> > > GROUP# STATUS TYPE MEMBER
> > > ---------- ------- ------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > 1 ONLINE /home/oracle/admin/NOBBY/DBFILES_LINKDIR/RedoLogs1/Redo1.rdo

> > > 6 STANDBY /home/oracle/admin/NOBBY/DBFILES_LINKDIR/StbRedoLogs1/StbRedo1.rdo

> > > And I did configure the Transport service (using dgmgrl):
> > > log_archive_dest_3 string service="NOBBY_ORACLE3", LGWR NOAFFIRM delay=0 OPTIONAL max_failure=0 reopen=300 async=2048
>  register

> > > Yet, when I "alter configuration set protection mode as maxavailability"
> > > I get an ORA-16627.
> >
> > Hi, Volker,
> >
> > Change NOAFFIRM to AFFIRM and change async=2048 to SYNC in your
> > log_archive_dest_3. Look at Table 5-2 in "Oracle Data Guard Concepts
> > and Administration" in 9i documentation. The Data Guard Broker
> > documentation doesn't seem to be complete.
>
> I guess that's it. I always thought SYNC, ASYNC and ARCH were the proper
> modes, but after I opened a TAR support pointed out to me that I need to set
> it to SYNC even for maxavailability.
>
> Lots of Thanks nevertheless!
> Volker

You imply that AFFIRM is not required. I don't have 9i data guard, but did a test on my 10.1.0.2.0 data guard. Surprisingly, both AFFIRM and SYNC can be omitted and I can still alter database set standby database to maximize availability. So it appears SYNC is required in 9i but optional in 10g.

Just for a record. If I also omit LGWR, alter system set log_archive_dest_2 throws "ORA-16159: Cannot change protected standby destination attributes" when the database is in maximum availability mode. If I change it to max performance mode, startup mount and set to max availability mode, then alter database open throws ORA-3113.

Yong Huang Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 11:05:30 CDT