Re: Read-only proc privledges

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:26:11 -0400

"brad.madison" <Brad_IANAL_Madison_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns958EC056FEBC6SunnySD_at_68.6.19.6...
| mark_at_corporatedigital.com (Mark Sisson) wrote in
|
| > Hi all.
| > I'm an old-school SQLServer DBA (don't throw any fruit please!) and
| > now I'm working on a project with Oracle. I'm trying to use PL/SQL to
| > view table structures, stored proc text, and view data in tables.
| >
| > Things are working fine accept that I'm unable to see any stored
| > procedures. My DBA said that he couldn't create a login that just has
| > stored proc view privledges without also giving my stored proc execute
| > privledges. Which of course he doesn't want to do.
| >
| > So is there no way to give a user access to view stored procs with
| > giving them execute rights?
| >
| > TIA
| > mark
|
| Stored procedures can be seen from DBA_SOURCE, IIRC.
| The DBA should be able to write a SP which can read
| and display the contents of this view & then GRANT
| you execute ONLY for this single SP.
|
| HTH & YMMV
good suggestion -- although this would require granting privileges from the SYS schema to the DBA's schema, which some DBAs would not be too fond of

if the DBA is comfortable with this type of approach, then simply granting SELECT on the DBA_SOURCE view to the developer would work,

another approach would be to grant SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE to the developer(s) -- more of a standard administration option, but it also includes access to hundreds of other dictionary views

++ mcs Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 06:26:11 CDT