Re: Adding some random characters to Oracle password

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 23:03:42 -0700

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote in message news:<43441e77.0410261253.5fd5c1ce_at_posting.google.com>... ...
> Application is a Web based Oracle Forms 6i application which runs on
> a Windows Server, it then connects to database on HP UNIX.
> 2. My auditors told me Oracle has some tool where some random
> characters are added to password, so user will not know these
> characters (so they cannot make direct connection?)/ I have not heard
> of anything like that until now. Does anyone have more information on
> it? Auditors said instead d of creating logon triggers, I can
> probably use this tool.

AFAIK there is no such Oracle tool. What they probably mean is: - encrypt user _application_ password with some utility - create database account identified by encrypted password.

Login:

- user logs into application tier with application password
- apps tier uses the same utility/algorithm to encrypt submitted password
- apps tier logs into Oracle database using encrypted password.

Siebel can work this way. Anyway, you should ask for the clarifications.

Cheers,
Igor