Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:38:51 -0500

On 2004-10-26, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>> [deletia]

>>>What limitation? In Japan they ran a 10g RAC cluster with 128 nodes.
>>>Do you think you can find an SMP machine that large?
>>

>> Depending on the size of the indivual nodes, SGI probably makes
>> such a machine already.
>>
>> Although, there is a difference between running and running well. The
>> biggest production deployment I've ever heard of was 30 nodes. However, that's
>> been awhile.
>
> I believe it was 128 nodes with 4 CPU Dells making 256 CPUs and that it

        That would be 512 cpus actually.

        That is equal to a single SGI Altix. As cluster tech progresses, so does SMP tech. SGI will be targeting 1024 cpus next. Sun still lags behind a little. However, that cluster would still resolve to a relatively small cluster size with E15Ks (4 nodes) Given what SGI has done, I am sure that Sun is looking to introduce something even bigger (than a 15K).

> scaled at 80% of theoretical. Mark Townsend might wish to weigh in with

        How did that application scale at smaller cluster sizes? Did each node added from #2 on up yield the same boost to performance, or was there a better increase in performance per node for smaller values of the cluster size?

--
        Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||