Re: Need help on MTS configuration

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:38:32 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> a écrit dans le message de news:417eab6f$0$21989$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Syltrem wrote:
>
> > db_domain = world
> > service_names = INERCS.WORLD
>
> Just to satisfy a curmudgeonly bastard this end, does everything work
> without that parameter? Because SERVICE_NAMES should default to
> DB_NAME+DB_DOMAIN, and you've already got both of those set. It should do,
> but again OpenVMS might be different in this regard.

I checked and the SERVICE_NAMES is *not* required.

> > Btw, I noticed that the alias names must also have the .WORLD in
> > tnsnames.ora (not just the service names need it).
>
> You need to read what's in your sqlnet.ora. There is a parameter that is
> usually set in there called something like NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN (I don't
> have one to hand to check out the specifics). If that is set to "WORLD",
> then whenever an unqualified connection request is made (eg, connect
> scott/tiger_at_LX10) then the sqlnet.ora slaps on the default domain,
silently
> (so, in reality, what gets issued under the hood is connect
> scott/tiger_at_lx10.dizwell.local).

Yes, it is set to world.

> But, of course, if what is really being issued under the hood is a
> fully-qualified connection alias, then your tnsnames.ora must contain
> qualified aliases, otherwise there'll be the 'unable to resolve' error
> message.
>
> So you then have a choice: either domain-less tnsnames.ora, and no
> default_domain in the sqlnet.ora. Or you have the default_domain in the
> sqlnet.ora and use domains in your tnsnames.
>
> Now again, that's the story from a Windows and Linux and Solaris
> perspective. It could all be very different in the planet where you come
> from!!

That's certainly the same on OpenVMS. Only, I don't really need it here. I didn't know you could just skip that and not use domains at all.

> > What's all about the
> > domains? What purpose do they serve? Certainly here they're just
> > cumbersome.
>
> Agreed, but the idea is that a large organisation might have a SALES
> database for European sales, and a SALES database for American sales and a
> SALES database for Australasian sales. How then do you distinguish between
> three otherwise identical databases?
>
> The suggestion is that you would have a SALES.LARGECORP.EU
> SALES.LARGECORP.US and a SALES.LARGECORP.AU, and then the problem is
> solved.

It's just another way of seeing things, or a kind of different naming method, I gather. Instead of having a different db_name for my development db I could have had a different domain but keep the same name (only if they are on different machines that is, otherwise Oracle will get confused). Now I understand the use of domains names.

> But yes, absolutely. For a small shop with no need to differentiate
> databases in that way, they are a pain in the butt, and I for one would
> like a USE_DOMAIN=FALSE parameter in the init.ora and every other .ora I
> could lay my hands on!
>
> > As for the hanging problem, the TAR is still in "Work In Progress"
status.
> > I was told there are many bugs in 8i that will not be fixed (even if the
> > desupport date is officially 2 months from now). If nothing else works I
> > will try to use a 9.2 listener and see if that helps.
>
> That is a very good idea, actually. No reason I can think of not to use 9i
> networking functionality whilst keeping the database back at 8i. Shame the
> trick won't work with 10g!
>
> Good luck
> HJR
>

> > I'm waiting for
> > another Oracle fix before I can (re)install 9i. I can't upgrade my db
> > right now, must wait for the vendor software to be upgraded as well
> > (soon).
> >
> > Thanks !

Thanks again. You made this day much worthful to me!

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)