Re: Tuning question - low cpu_time, high elapsed_time - what gives?

From: Steve B <BigBoote66_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 13:23:16 -0700

Thanks very much for the recommendation - yours has been the most useful advice I've seen here. I got the book and have been applying what I've learned. I've since done some analysis and discovered that the problem seems to stem from the fact that every once in a while, a "db file sequential read" step in my queries takes an inordinate amount of time for a single block of data fetched - sometimes 3 seconds, sometimes 30 seconds! I don't really know how to find out what is causing the problem. I have described it further here, in case you have anything to add:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=clkpc3%24uon%241%40lust.ihug.co.nz&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26group%3Dcomp.databases.oracle.server

-Steve