Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:15:29 +1000

Joel Garry wrote:

> miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net (Carlos) wrote in message

>> This thread shows exactly what kind of person is D. A. Morgan and what
>> kind of person is Howard J. Rogers.
>>
>> I wish It was the second who has to read my resume if the
>> circumstances (unlikely though) make our roads cross.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Carlos.

> Did you miss the part where he said you would be rejected on account
> of your English skills?

Yes, he probably did. Because I didn't say anything of the kind. I wrote "Mastery of one's language, written and spoken, counts a lot". And that's a direct quote.

I can't say I'm surprised at the gross distortion of what I actually wrote. But to set the record straight nevertheless: I did not say "English is required". I said mastery of *any* language, if it's your own, is important.

I am not a xenophobic fascist, and don't particularly appreciate even mild attempts to make out that what I wrote is anything even remotely along those lines.

> Both of their methodologies are used by people who are not anywhere
> near as qualified as they are. Make that misused. As far as I can
> tell, neither would hire me. Howard would not hire many of the best
> DBA's I've seen - shyness, stuttering, even just generally being a
> reserved person who takes while to open up, all would be rejected.

Shyness doesn't indicate lack of mastery of a language. Neither does being reserved. And neither does stuttering, actually. So no: actually, none of those would be rejected. And I'd appreciate you not completely making up things about me and passing them off as though they were fact or suggesting that you have even the vaguest clue about what I would or would not do when in fact you don't.

And since I was just training a stuttering DBA two weeks ago, I will happily confirm that he was a perfectly capable student that I most certainly would not reject for the position of DBA or systems administrator (and actually, he already is a systems administrator).

His applying for a post as a trainer himself might be a problem, because then he would have an audience to win over, and not lose. But so would a person who is afraid of heights applying for the job of tightrope walker be potentially problematic. But even then, it would come down to a matter of degree and whatever other compensating gifts he brought to the party. He most certainly wouldn't be rejected out of hand.

> Daniel seems focused on the US style contracting world - you either
> hit the ground running or forget it. This is a bigger flaw in US
> business than I'll rant about here. I cracked up when Daniel
> mentioned about the RAC ad - I had just seen one that repeated several
> times MUST HAVE RAC experience! Those types of ads seem to be
> increasing in proportion, I just took it as evidence of bad, um,
> headhuntership going around and coming around. Watching the ads, now
> I laugh because they would reject Howard and Daniel!

Why? I have plenty. So does Daniel. I don't get it.

HJR Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 15:15:29 CDT