Re: A check on database cloning from sun to fujitsu

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:31:25 +1000

Gautrak wrote:

> Hi,
> Our current database is 8.1.7.4 32-bit on sun sparc server with
> solaris 2.6.
>
> we have to clone this on a fujitsu prime power with solaris 2.9
> 64-bit.
> There is no change in instance naming or file paths.
>
> I believe this should be quite straight forward
> - Install same oracle version 32 bit on new server.
> - take a cold backup of database on existing server.
> - restore these files on new server
> - startup the database on new server.
>
> Appreciate a perusal from group. Anyone encountered any problems in
> this kind of scenario?
>
> TIA,
> gautrak

I don't know the specifics, and hopefully someone here will post those. But in general, you cannot backup a database created under one O/S and restore it for use with another. To move across operating systems, one generally has to employ export and import.

That the word Solaris appears in both your old and your new operating systems doesn't, to my mind, mean that you can get away with it. But as I say, someone with knowledge of that particular combination may yet give the thumbs up.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 06:31:25 CDT