Re: How to move init.ora or SPFILE

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:27:46 +1000

Johannes Bavendiek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are running Oracle 9.2 on a Win2003 Cluster.
> I want to move the init.ora and/or the SPFILE to another location
> (especially from the local disk to a cluster-disk).
> How can I do that?
>
> thanks in advance
> Johannes

You move it with operating system commands (in your case, Windows Explorer will do fine). But you must leave something behind in ORACLE_HOME\database called initSID.ora which points to where you moved the real thing.

That remnant initSID.ora must contain just one line:

IFILE=\wherever\you\moved\the\init.ora

OR...

SPFILE=\wherever\you\moved\the\spfile.ora

...depending on what sort of file it is that you have moved, and thus are pointing at.

You would obviously need an equivalent initSID.ora on the other nodes of your cluster, similarly pointing to a shared-disk file. Ideally, you would have just one spfile on the shared disk, containing parameters for both instances, and the two init.oras on the local disks would end up pointing to that same file.

It's not clear from your post whether you need advice on how to produce an spfile to do duty for multiple instances, or whether you are seriously only interested about how to move the file to a non-default location. But if you do need additional assistance, post back.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 06:27:46 CDT