Re: default settings in 9i

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 16:32:14 -0700

richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com (Richard Stanton) wrote in message news:<87bc8a5f.0410220141.3bffc2f8_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello all
>
> I'm migrating from oracle 8.0.5 on nt to 9.2.0.5 on windows 2000 and
> want to make sure I'm not about to make any ghastly errors.
>
> I've exported the data from the old database, created an empty
> database on the new server using the configuration assistant, created
> the relevant users and tablespace, configured archive logging, and
> imported the data successfully.

To expand slightly on one of Sybrand's points, check the statistics on all the tables and indices (with OEM or whatever you know how to use).  I've seen very strange results ocassionally with imp. And there are still a few optimizer bugs, one that bit me recently had to do with incorrectly weighting index range scans.

You used CBO before, right? It seems the different ways of generating stats can come up with different results for the same data.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Mostly it works.  People notice when it doesn't.