Re: poor man's partitioning

From: John <nytimesjdarrah_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 15:39:01 -0700

Wouldn't you still want some kind of range? Your hash plan just says "cut this one physical table into X tables". Adding a new physical back end table would be difficult because you would need to rebalance the data. If you have any kind of date field, you can put together a form of range partitioning based around your current insert volume. This would give you the advantage of possibly being able to add partitions without re balancing and to possibly have queries prune via the view. If you still want to go the hash route, you could just use the MOD() function on a sequence generated value to get your buckets.