Re: Variable to hold a cast table??

From: Mike Moore <mmoore_gmp_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 13:01:48 -0700

aabdis_at_yahoo.com (Eidolon Ivanovich) wrote in message news:<f542889f.0410221240.783fa905_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello all, i have a SPLIT function which splits a string on a
> delimeter and returns back a table type.
> In order to use the resuls, i can do:
>
> SELECT COLUMN_VALUE FROM TABLE(CAST(SPLIT(pLOTLOCs,DelimLOTLOCs) as
> TBL_VARCHAR2))
>
> What i would like to do is to create a local variable in my procedure
> to store the results of:
> TABLE(CAST(SPLIT(pLOTLOCs,DelimLOTLOCs) as TBL_VARCHAR2))
>
> So maybe i could make a variable something like
> TAB_LOTLOCs SOMETYPE := TABLE(CAST(SPLIT(pLOTLOCs,DelimLOTLOCs) as
> TBL_VARCHAR2));
>
> Then i dont have to keep doing all the spliting and casting. I could
> then just do
> SELECT COLUMN_VALUE FROM TAB_LOTLOCs.
>
> How can i do this??
>
> Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't a REF CURSOR work? As I don't have a split funtion to work with I'm going "off-the-cuff". However, it looks like you could do something like:

Declare
x ref cursor;
begin
open x for SELECT COLUMN_VALUE
FROM TABLE(CAST(SPLIT(pLOTLOCs,DelimLOTLOCs) as TBL_VARCHAR2)); -- do whatever you want with x
end; Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 15:01:48 CDT