Re: Surrogate Key vs Production Key

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 11:02:30 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0410230702.7b749cea_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0410221642.7635fec1_at_posting.google.com>...
>

> > Now, now, we know twinkles before 1980.
>
> Sure. And it was NOT Oracle!
> MOF, Univac's Mapper was around since 1976... :)

Jeez, I know one guy who still does that. I never did except to coordinate O DBA activities with him.

RSI released V2 Oracle in June, 1979. Such as it was.

> > And of course, RDBMS or not, it still allows an ad-hoc relationship
> > between any two entities (tables).
>
> Try:
>
> select ........
> from a,b
> where a.col between b.col1 and b.col2;
>
> Very few non-relational will allow this kind of
> join relationship, ad-hoc or not. You can try as
> well with more complex joins involving ranges
> and expressions instead of columns.

Not a problem, procedurally or non. email me offline should you care about details. The syntax is different, since it isn't sql, of course. Done all the time to answer inventory queries like "tell me how much stuff is in the location indicator that is encompassed by that range of locations for this stuff in that warehouse." Very handy expressions and LOV's are built-in, as well, I still go nuts every time I have to downgrade brain to O Forms or OAS way of doing LOV.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.