Re: Retrieve ORACLE_HOME setting from PL/SQL

From: Dave <x_at_x.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:43:52 GMT

"Stephan Bressler" <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de> wrote in message news:clish7$j50$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de...

>> Maybe you'd care to elaborate why you'd want to do that? I'm having a
>> hard
>> time figuring out what good it'd do you.
> Hi,
> we're running hundreds of oracle instances of various versions and
> platform. To keep track of the versions, settings, etc. we've developed a
> pl/sql package, which runs on each instance an collects a bunch of data
> (e.g. version, datafile usage, downtimes, etc).
> Now we'd like to collect the actual ORACLE_HOME, too.
>
> Oratab is not really an option for we have a lot of instances on windows.
> Beside that, utl_file_dir would required a change on every singel instance
> plus a reboot.

not true, you can use directories and utl file on top of that without setting utl_file_dir = x

Also as far as I know, it isnt available from withing the database, some java sp could probably get this for you to make a system call to the OS.

Do a search for this on askTom.oracle.com and you might get lucky, i recall this coming up before on there Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 12:43:52 CDT