Re: Oracle, two servers.

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:55:37 GMT

JThurlow wrote:

> Anybody that can give me some type of insight I would appreciate. I
> am a SQL Server user, but my company recently got a big job and the
> company wants the back end in Oracle. I had one of my guys download
> an Oracle demo and install it to see if we could hook up to it. Well
> apparently the 1.5 gig, 512Megs of ram machine isn't enough to support

CHeck again on the actual install. I have most versions of Oracle running, one at a time, on an old Dell CPx laptop with 512M RAM, 10.5G h/d and P3-500 - works just fine.

> Oracle. I couldn't get most of the applications to work, so I had him
> install it on a faster machine. Well since Oracle seems to use a

Are you saying Oracle _Applications_? or Oracle-based apps? (Oracle sells aps like PeopleSoft, Siebel & SAP).

> Global Network ID, instead of machine name (at least as far as I can
> tell) The old machine is masking the new one (even though he gave it a
> new name the second time he installed it). So the name of the old
> machine is "ORCL", which I can still get to work, the new one is "GE".

Basic install issue. In the courses I teach, I regularily have machines with host name studentx.yyy.com (x=1-9) on the same network, all using database/instance name ORCL. The global names are orcl.studentx.yyy.com and they see each other using the appropriate tnsnames.ora setting.

> Now from the machine with "GE", I can make a UDL connection to it,
> but from no other machine on the network. The "ORCL" machine can be
> seen from anywhere on the network.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Do I need to set
> something on either machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Suggest you review your install. Consider using http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/start/index.html as a guide.

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 09:55:37 CDT