Oracle, two servers.

From: JThurlow <jthurlow_at_lablite.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 07:36:21 -0700

Anybody that can give me some type of insight I would appreciate. I am a SQL Server user, but my company recently got a big job and the company wants the back end in Oracle. I had one of my guys download an Oracle demo and install it to see if we could hook up to it. Well apparently the 1.5 gig, 512Megs of ram machine isn't enough to support Oracle. I couldn't get most of the applications to work, so I had him install it on a faster machine. Well since Oracle seems to use a Global Network ID, instead of machine name (at least as far as I can tell) The old machine is masking the new one (even though he gave it a new name the second time he installed it). So the name of the old machine is "ORCL", which I can still get to work, the new one is "GE".   Now from the machine with "GE", I can make a UDL connection to it, but from no other machine on the network. The "ORCL" machine can be seen from anywhere on the network.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Do I need to set something on either machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Jevon Thurlow Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 09:36:21 CDT