Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 01:15:57 -0700

"Robert" <rchin_at_nospampanix.com> wrote in message news:<clbsnv$e2g$1_at_reader1.panix.com>...
> 8i is outta support 12-31-2004, correct ?
>
> Is it such a "big deal" or horror to be running 8i after that date ?

Well, it depends. Though we already migrated most of our system to the 9i Rel2 we're still running some systems on 8i and we will continue doing so. These applications are scheduled to be replaced in next two years and it is simply not worthy of effort to migrate them to the 9i, not mentioning that vendor is not supporting new Oracle versions and wants a huge amount of bucks to solve his own programming errors from the past (because more or less that is an application migration from 8i to 9i). So we will gladly keep them running for that period of time and after that we will simply dump them. However, for applications that are expected to be developed in the future and are still having bright future in the organization, migration to the 9i is almost a must.
If you're concerned with the end of the support, you can pay for an extended support. It is not much costly (I think something about 20% of yearly fee) and it should help. I think there will be a lot of companies with this approach.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.