Re: Configure Large SGA (>4gb) for Oracle 9ir2 64 bit on SLES-9

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr\"dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:00:36 +1000

On 24 Oct 2004 18:01:50 -0700, AJ <aj70000_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am struggling to allocate more memory on the server for the SGA. I
> have 8gb ram on the intel based 64 bit system with 2 processor with
> SUSe Enterprise 9.0
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> AJ

If you only have 8GB of RAM, then you really don't want an SGA bigger than about 4GB (assuming you need one anywhere remotely near that sort of size in the first place... most people don't).

The reason is simply that it is never a good idea to use more than 1/3 to 1/2 of your physical RAM for an SGA, because you will probably induce pageing operations in the O/S if you do. For you, that means not exceeding 4GB.

Apart from that, however, you don't really provide many details. What have you done to date? What error messages are you getting? And so on. Show us what you've tried, and someone here will be able to point to where you're going down a hole.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Oct 24 2004 - 21:00:36 CDT