Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:01:54 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> David Sharples wrote:
>

>>"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>>>Only if in 5 years you expect to be fully qualified to flip burgers
>>>for a living.
>>>
>>>Last week I was interviewing PL/SQL developers. No one whose experience
>>>was 8i (and not 9i) was even considered. Next week I begin interviewing
>>>DBA candidates. Those whose primary experience is 8i won't get past
>>>having their resumes tossed into the recycling.
>>>--
>>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>>University of Washington
>>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>>
>>features can be learned.  I would much rather employ someone who has the
>>capacity to learn who knows basic concepts well.  By tossing away
>>candidates just because their current employer doesn't use 9i or you are
>>possibly missing out on some excellent people
>>
>>but thats just my opinion

> And an entirely sensible one, if you ask me.
>
> I'd employ a SQL Server user if he showed a bit of get-up-and-go, a
> willingness to learn, a willingness to research, a desire for precision and
> facts. Point of fact, I did once employ a database instructor who had
> worked his entire career previously in Quark Xpress page design. And he
> turned into the best instructor I ever employed.
>
> It is as utterly daft in my book to toss out a CV because it doesn't mention
> 9i as it is to toss IN one because it contains the magic letters 'OCP'.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Not daft at all Howard. When you have a pile with more than 100 resumes for a single position here's what really happens.
  1. Separate into 2 piles ... possible and ridiculous
  2. Throw away the ridiculous
  3. Separate into 2 piles ... those with the skill and posers
  4. Throw away the posers
  5. Separate into 2 piles ... those with current skill set and those that need training.
  6. If the first pile is big enough, and these days it always is, throw away the trainees.
  7. Start telephone interviews with the possibles.
  8. Bring in for face-to-face the best 3 to 5.
  9. Make an often difficult choice.
  10. Hope you made a good one.

Not once in 3 years have I ever felt a need to go back to the discard piles because I didn't find what I needed.

But be honest here ... given two people with equally good experience ... one with 8i, 9i, and 10g experience and one with 8i ... and I said equally good ... why would you pick the person with only 8i? Ever? And think of yourself here as an employer ... not a charity.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington