Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:54:18 +1000

David Sharples wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> 8i is outta support 12-31-2004, correct ?
>>>
>>> Is it such a "big deal" or horror to be running 8i after that date ?
>>
>> Only if in 5 years you expect to be fully qualified to flip burgers
>> for a living.
>>
>> Last week I was interviewing PL/SQL developers. No one whose experience
>> was 8i (and not 9i) was even considered. Next week I begin interviewing
>> DBA candidates. Those whose primary experience is 8i won't get past
>> having their resumes tossed into the recycling.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>
> features can be learned.  I would much rather employ someone who has the
> capacity to learn who knows basic concepts well.  By tossing away
> candidates just because their current employer doesn't use 9i or you are
> possibly missing out on some excellent people
>
> but thats just my opinion

And an entirely sensible one, if you ask me.

I'd employ a SQL Server user if he showed a bit of get-up-and-go, a willingness to learn, a willingness to research, a desire for precision and facts. Point of fact, I did once employ a database instructor who had worked his entire career previously in Quark Xpress page design. And he turned into the best instructor I ever employed.

It is as utterly daft in my book to toss out a CV because it doesn't mention 9i as it is to toss IN one because it contains the magic letters 'OCP'.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Oct 23 2004 - 19:54:18 CDT